Re: Europa-List: Suberuopa

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Suberuopa
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 10:33:44

On Feb 18, 2010, at 6:36 AM, Bob Borger wrote:

> Lotsa mass up front there though.

Bob,

        The pix I posted suffers from some wide angle distortion...it's not
near as massive as it appears.

> How 'bout the radiator mounted in an underside duct aft of the wheel
> well ala P-51.  Help move the CG aft a bit. Might even get a few
> pounds of thrust out of it (like the P-51) if you design the diverge/
> converge sections right..

        Y'know...goin down this road I've chosen is a slippery
slope...believe it or not, my mantra is to "manage the degree of
novelty", as unlikely as it may appear.

> What are your plans for a prop?  An engine like that just begs for a
> C/S prop to take max advantage of the available HP & torque.  Is
> there one available for a backward turning prop?

        I know Alex Bowman's Honda/CAM 125 is fitted w/ an Airmaster which
turns counter clockwise, so availability is not an issue for a C/S
prop...weight and balance may be (not so for Alex). The torque "curve"
for my engine is pretty flat...see graph below.

        Thanks for your encouraging words.

        Fred