Europa-List: What does Ducati warning light tell you?

Subject: Europa-List: What does Ducati warning light tell you?
From: Remi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 13:25:04
Hi Ron,

I do not know of any documentation on how this light works but based on
my experience in the field this is what I can tell you:

The only thing it does is indicating whether the integrated permanent
magnet alternator is supplying power or not.
1. Engine not running, battery master on, alternator master on: le light
is on.
2. Engine not running, battery master on, alternator master off (which
means alternator disconnected from the bus): the light is off.
3. Engine running, battery master on, alternator master on: the light is
off: this is the normal condition.
4. Now if you turn the alternator master switch off, the light does not
turn on. This is because the alternator is still supplying power.
5. From the normal condition 3. above:  if you experience an overvoltage
(due to regulator failure) the light does not turn on.
6. From the normal condition 3. above:  if you experience an
undervoltage the light does not turn on.

As a conclusion, it would be nice to have a separate warning device for
under/overvoltage conditions.

Hope this helps
Remi Guerner
F-PGKL