Re: Europa-List: Re: Fuel tank installation without bonding it in

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Fuel tank installation without bonding it in
From: Jan de Jong <jandejong@casema.nl>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 13:06:58

Checking with John and Roger at the factory re tank installation.

1.
The last of the original (2004) Ltd crew is retiring and having its last
day at the office today. The end of a period - again.
Roger will be available by e-mail for a while for technical questions.
He monitors this forum. If I say a lie he will correct I'm sure.

2.
The gaseous tank treatment introduced to prevent swelling causes epoxy
to bond to the tank material.
Thermal expansion rate difference is the most likely cause for tearing
tanks.
Prescription:
Install in accordance with the manual but with a permanent release film
between layup and tank.
No other measures are necessary and triboelectrics are not an issue.

(
Googling gives a linear thermal expansion coefficient difference between
glass reinforced epoxy and polyethylene in the order of 1 in 10000 per
degree C.
That would be 1 mm per 20 cm for 50 degree C.
)

Cheers,
Jan de Jong