RE: Europa-List: Emergency parachutes, opinions?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Emergency parachutes, opinions?
From: Robert C Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:58:05

Hi! Frans
I've "kept my head down" hoping someone would tell you that one
"Miles.McAllum....." an editor of one of the UK magazines was developing a
suitable system of slings to which the BRS could be attached. It was a major
problem since the forward sling needs to be attached just behind the
propeller.  The only place for the BRS canister would be central to the rear
of and between the back rests in the roof.  He had loads of design problems
with the then -PFA.  The forward sling required to either split the
windscreen inside or outside  and certainly visually it was going to be a
"dogs dinner"  Ultimately he ran out of steam on the project as a whole and
sold his kit on. If Miles or anyone has info contrary then I will rescind my
statements.
The rate of descent is likely to be pretty fast so ground impact would wreck
the aircraft anyway.
These things are a chance we all take so we need to be constantly aware of
"what if the donkey stops" where are we intending to land and will we likely
be cinders prior to impact ?
I think you need to be aware but as prepared as possible but then erase it
---From your worried brow !
Regards
Bob Harrison. G-PTAG