Re: Europa-List: Emergency parachutes, opinions?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Emergency parachutes, opinions?
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:23:24

On Dec 14, 2009, at 2:58 PM, Robert C Harrison wrote:

> "Miles.McAllum....." an editor of one of the UK magazines was
> developing a
> suitable system of slings to which the BRS could be attached. It was
> a major
> problem since the forward sling needs to be attached just behind the
> propeller.  The only place for the BRS canister would be central to
> the rear
> of and between the back rests in the roof.  He had loads of design
> problems
> with the then -PFA.  The forward sling required to either split the
> windscreen inside or outside

The issues related to deploying a sling so that the aircraft descends
horizontally are handled on the Cirrus/BRS installation by burying the
straps in a joggle which is molded into the fuselage and which leads
to the support points. The straps are then covered w/ a layer of glass
and finish (gelcoat?) so that they are invisable. Upon deployment, the
straps rip thru this thin layer so that aircraft and crew float (not
exactly gently) towards terra firma.

 From the BRS point of view, there is a fair amount of flexibility in
locating the cannister, subject of course to C of G on a particular
aircraft. The BRS chute on my glider mounts right on the C of G.

Exactly how one might create the recessed joggled area in a pre-molded
fuselage would not be a challenge I'd take on. I'm surprised to learn
that Miles determined that "the forward sling needs to be attached
just behind the propeller"...it would appear to me that hard points
port and starboard at the firewall would serve, but that would be pure
speculation on my part.

Fred
A194