Europa-List: Emergency parachutes, opinions?

Subject: Europa-List: Emergency parachutes, opinions?
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 12:47:58

Dear fellow experimental aviators,

I'm looking at the pro's and con's of emergency parachutes. I'm sure
some people on this forums have thought about this subject and formed
opinions about it, and I would like to hear more about it. I have no
experience with parachutes nor any opinion further than that I can
imagine that there are a few occasions where parachutes could save ones
life. Even this could be unrealistic imagination of course.

Questions are:
1) What are the chances of getting out of a Europa in level flight
(frozen controls). Will you get hit by the tailplane if you just climb
out and let go?
2) What are the chances of getting out of a Europa after some sort of
structural failure where the aircraft may be spinning and tumbling? Will
G-forces pin you down in your seat?
3) Is there any statistics about the amount of lifes saved due to
parachutes in General Aviation applications?

Personal opinions, in case of being forced to make an emergency landing:
1) Over water, would you opt for being the first one to try to land the
Europa on open water, or rather jump out by parachute?
2) In non-hospitalised area's (like mountainous terrain), would you try
to make the best of it and land in the trees or river down the valley,
or rather jump out?

Any opinions welcome,
Frans