RE: Europa-List: Safety improvement list

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Safety improvement list
From: G-IANI <giani@ntlworld.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:56:29
Frans and all,

Some comments on your safety improvement list

1) Safety belts.

Do not use types which formulate loops  - Agreed

Make modified upper fixing points  - Agreed

I am not sure you need the "lengthened and foldable headrest".

2) Fuel systems

- routing outside the cabin (weight penalty none or some)  - Agreed in
principal.  G-IANI is a Trigear so all the fuel system is in the centre
tunnel

- return line with one-way-valve or emergency off-selector  - Sounds a
good
idea, I will talk to LAA about this

- do not use original glass fuel filters ' They have there limitation
but
are acceptable if they are accessible and can be monitored and cleaned.
Has
anyone found a reasonably priced substitute we could standardise on.

- consider the safety of sight gauge and it=B4s location.  ' What the
manual
recommends is not good.  Of the variations that builders have done which
is
the best compromise in terms of safety and functionality?

- have a fuel warning /gauge/pressure gauge /computer   - Agreed I would
not
fly G-IANI without it

3) Doors

- use unintentioned opening guards and secure them with pip-pins to
levers
- In the UK the LAA do not approve this.  It is a value judgement on the
risks involved.

- install serial connected micro switches w warning lights behind shoot
bolts.  - OK but, as Karl said, they can lead to a false sense of
security.
A manual check is essential

4) Cowlings

- do not make those little oil/water check doors - so you have to take
whole
upper cowling away and see and check same time much much more (weight
penalty none, use cam locks or equal - so it is pleasure to open so
often
you like - I do it every 5 flight hrs)

I have Southco fasteners on my cowl.  They are a lot of work to fit but
do
make removing the cowl a lot easier.  I still think you need the
oil/water
check doors for doing the daily =93A=94 check.

5) Electrics

- use two serial connected master switches; so called panel mstr leaves
juice for trim, stall warner, charging for emergency batteries, clocks,
burglar alarms, horns, convenience lights AND an engine starter - total
master cuts everything (weight penalty none, normally my total master is
always on, I close it only during longs stays over two weeks or just
before
possible crash I wish, panel mstr switch uses light weight 40A relay
which
uses only few milliamperes, total mstr switch is mechanical with "a key"
and
uses 0 amperes)

That is essentially how G-IANI is set up1.  Both my switches are
mechanical

6) Cockpit equipments

- have a carbon monoxide detector  - Agreed

- have a Halon fire extinguisher ' Agreed it is a requirement in the
UK

- have a personal locater beacon with gps - Agreed

- have a stall warner or AoA indicator  - Agreed

7) Outside equipments

- have at least strobes  - Agreed.  This is something that should be in
the
manual

Ian Rickard G-IANI XS Trigear, 280 hours
Europa Club Mods Rep (Trigear)
e-mail g-iani@ntlworld.com