Re: Europa-List: Mono Inner Tyre Failures

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mono Inner Tyre Failures
From: K BURNS <kjburns@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 21:01:16

Anyone running nitrogen instead of air ?
 Common aviation practice, it is inert, and removing oxygen results in less
rubber
corrosion, more stable tyre pressures with temperature change.

On a pushbike inner tube I have observed seams that wear out causing punctures
due to side wall flex.
 Tyre side wall failure stressing and wearing through the side wall causing
punctures.

Side wall flex increases with lower tyre presures and heat build up.

Buy the best quality tubes (and tyres) you can get..thickest rubber from
recognised
manufacturers...Chinese rubbers are not as corrosive resistant and age leak
earlier.

I used slime on a 120 hp motorcycle and pulled three nails out in consecutive
weeks
with no loss of pressure (tubless)and used the bike untill the tyre wore
out as a chase bike while instructing...

Was originaly recognised as a safety feature(it works) but sold now in UK for
ATV/off
road use due to fears of litigation..(tyre will fail catastropicaly if
side wall/cord is damaged) (I also ran my MC school bikes on it and it saved
down
time,but on tubed rims any puncture object would be removed & new tube fitted
in case it the tube splits.

Daily inspection of wheels should include pressure..learn to judge from tyre
profile
& contact area, tyre creep, paint on tell tails.
Side wall damage,cuts splits especialy cords, bulges...run your hand around the
profile and feel for bulges (Snapped internal cords/failed carcase)can feel like
an out of balance wheel when rolling.
Also inspect hub for damage and tail wheel rotates on its bearings.

On a motorcycle we increase tyre pressure for additional load to compensate for
additional tyre wall flex,maintain proper contact patch and grip for braking,
I allowed 5 psi increase for 150 lb load increase (medium passenger)..Use as
rule of thumb adjust acording to fuel load also?

Use your eyes and look at which parts of your tyre is wearing out first..centre
thin line, too high a presure.
outer of the tyre too soft increase.
5 psi at a time from recomended is a safe comparison point.
Use an acurate gauge when starting to measure.
Keep wheel wells,spats, and frames clear of dried mud.

If you have a tri gear drift will show as scrubbing to one half of the tyre or
other..Double the life of your tyres by rotating them (thicker tread is more
puncture
resistant) either on same axle or opposite axels if tyre rotation arrows
are uni-directional.
Examine your tubes for sidewall chaffing while they are out.

Kerbing any vehicles tyre can damage the structure of the tyre,tracking steering
and suspension..be carefull changing from grass to hardstandings.

Pick up and dispose of foreign objects around the hanger and pad.

Practice your tyre checking on your car, pushbike,motorcycle..unusual wear
patterns
all try to tell you what is going on.

To summerise PILECK  Pressures Inspect Load Clean Enviroment Kerbs

Regards

Kevin

--- On Sun, 20/9/09, Duncan & Ami McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>