Re: Europa-List: Reduce speed in approach

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Reduce speed in approach
From: rparigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 21:10:56

Hi Michel

Where did you get information that the Tri gear can have more than 27 degrees?
I just looked on Factory build manual and tri is same as mono, 25 to 27 degrees:
http://www.europa-aircraft.biz/pdfs/buildersmanuals/CBM%20-%20ANNEX%20E%28T%29%20Mar%202008.pdf

Like others have mentioned, I too heard that more tha 27 degrees will allow
plane
to take off before you have proper aileron authority on a Monowheel.

How would you deal with the fact that the down stop on the undercarriage
mounting
frame needs to be firmly planted?

Justin Kennedy has independent flaps on a Mono I think? Takeoffs in crosswinds
with less than full flaps can be desirable on a mono.

If I were you, adjust to 27 degrees flaps, adjust your idle if you have a Rotax
so it is smooth on ground at 1450RPM, but only use that setting for landing
short.
A fine pitch prop, or variable pitch should also help slowing plane down
with a low idle. Remember low idle in air will not be as low as static. Best
idle on ground 1800RPM plus. The lighter the aeroplane the better for slowing
things down.

Even if you change flap setting just 2 degrees, go up and practice a full stall
series cooridinated and not, try also in some turns to make sure you didn't
introduce
any nastyness. If you do tend to dropping a wing, you could try and reflex
the ailerons just a little from neutral which would act as an extras bit
of washout, also when you load wings ailerons tend to go down (perhaps try 3/32"
reflex).

Drouge chutes work a treat as does beta thrust!

Ron Parigoris

Visit -  www.EuropaOwners.org