Re: Europa-List: Reduce speed in approach

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Reduce speed in approach
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 17:48:54

Michel,

Do I understand correctly that you wish to reduce the approach speed
by extending the flaps further than is normally permitted on the
monowheel?

If so, from my experience, I do not see any simple means by which this
can be accomplished.

There is an adjustment available in the position of the FL21 "Horn"
which can be used to allow a bit more flap movement.  See page
28M-11.  There is also some adjustment available in the "Fork
Assembly"  (175-601-208) which is installed at both ends of the "Flap
Push Rod (FL20).  See page 28M-17.  These adjustments could be used to
proved some limited additional flap extension, but probably at the
cost of a less than fully retracted flap and some loss of cruise speed
due to the added drag.  I'm not sure how much approach speed reduction
could be gained, but I expect it would be minimal.

I guess you could also machine a new, longer, FL19 "Horn Plate" which
would provide greater movement of the "Flap Push Rod" with further
extension of the flap.

Personally, I'd not recommend any of these modifications as you are
treading in new, untested areas of Europa aerodynamics.  Perhaps one
of the more aerodynamically inclined folks can make a better judgement.

Check six,
Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Mono, Intercooled 914, Airmaster C/S
http://www.europaowners.org/N914XL
Aircraft Flying!
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208