Re: Europa-List: Rotax 914 "what if"

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax 914 "what if"
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 00:27:25

> <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
>
> Ron, You probably know, but it's worth saying perhaps for others that
> one 914 pump works directly off the alternator. With main and alternator
> switches both off, it continues to pump. The only failure of the
> charging system that has appeared at all commonly on this forum is the
> rectifier failing, and with that scenario, switching off the alternator
> switch should leave the main pump working so that you can use your
> battery reserves on whatever radio or navigational gizmo makes most sense.
> regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ

If the rectifier fails, the pump can no longer be powered. The pump runs
on DC. The pump is connected directly behind the rectifier, but before
the switch.
If the rectifier fails, you have to continue on batterypower only.
Unless you have a dual alternator setup.
I consider a light weight additional alternator a worthy addition: the
weight involved with the additional alternator can be offset by a
smaller battery, as it is extremely unlikely that you will need the
battery during flight. Unless you have both alternators failing at the
same time...

--
Frans Veldman