Re: Europa-List: Rotax 914 "what if"

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax 914 "what if"
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 12:43:19

Hi Frans and all

First I have a request from group.

If someone is comfortable, if you don't mindcould you try in
cruise with a 914 turning on and off fuel pump and report how long engine
will run till it slumps and how long it takes to fill carb back up for
another cycle. Again if you don't mind try with slight lower than ambient
MP and higher.

I believe that because airbox pressure is
plumbed to the sealed float bowls that even if the needle valve opened and
some air pushed backwards through it, motor will run till float bowls are
dry. In other words i think airbox plumbing can overcome needle valve
leak.

I suspect that one side of engine will slump before the
other.

Frans as far as having two separate systems as you have,
if the cockpit filled with smoke thought to be electrical in nature, which
system would you turn off?

I am a reasonable troubleshooter,
and anythingI fly, I make sure Iam intimate with working of my
machine and try and armchair different scenarios.

There is
nothing wrong with having a dual system as you have, just to make second
side nice and worthwhile you need a second battery that is heavier
thanI care for.

BTW on my system I have on the passenger
headrest an Anderson power pole connector that I can easily plug in any
batteryI wish to, including a lead acid and have, or not have it
hooked to charging system.

My approach is stone simple for
smoke in cockpit thought to be electrical in nature, shut down everything,
run one pump on a separate battery if feasible and land. If not feasible
then try e-bus with alternator and generator shut down and go from
there.

Ron Parigoris