Re: Europa-List: Mounting the Rudder

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mounting the Rudder
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 22:48:43

On Apr 5, 2009, at 9:43 PM, danbish wrote:

> For what it's worth, I just posted a bunch of photos of the rudder
> install. Sounds like we're working on the same thing.

Hey Dan...thanks mucho.

Your pixs are great...I did notice one thing which may be of interest.
I notice on photo #58 that you have the Graham S. tailwheel set up (as
do I). I see that you have the original horn which receives the cables
for the tail wheel...I believe the holes are 4" o.c. In a memorable
conversation I had with William Mills at SnF '07, he strongly
recommended making up a replacement which would have 3 sets of holes,
4", 5", and 6" o.c. respectively to give one a means of adjusting the
sensitivity of the turning of the tailwheel in relation to that of the
rudder. William believed that the novice Europa mono driver would find
handling the mono, particularly on hard surface, much easier to get
the knack of it with the cables out at the 6" o.c. holes. This set up
does have the drawback of increasing the minimum turning radius
somewhat...so as one acclimates to the mono and gets the pucker factor
within reason, it would be desireable to transition to the narrower
spread. If you'd like a pix of it, I'd be happy to send you one.

Fred

--
believed to be clean.