Re: Europa-List: Mounting the Rudder

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mounting the Rudder
From: danbish <bdanbish@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 07:43:40

Hi Fred,

For what it's worth, I just posted a bunch of photos of the rudder install.
Sounds
like we're working on the same thing. I too, found that the joggle on the
sternpost was way too thick so I sanded it off and made a flat surface for the
hinge. Now, there's a major difference here in that the guys that started the
kit went with one long hinge instead of the 3 smaller ones per the manual. So
I had to get a somewhat smooth and level surface top to bottom.

To accomplish this, I scuff sanded then did a layup of epoxy and micro, applied
a straight edge, then let cure. Sanded it down to the same approximate thickness
top to bottom, drilled holes for clecos then trial fitted the rudder and it
worked fine. I have to loosed the clecos, then install the rudder pin, then
cleco back but it is snug and firm and operates fine to both sides.

The photos aren't captioned yet but I'm working on that. They at:

http://www.europaowners.org/modules.php?set_albumName=Rudder-Tailwheel&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=2

Let me know if you have any questions,

Dan

Visit -  www.EuropaOwners.org