Europa-List: Re: AAE Antennas

Subject: Europa-List: Re: AAE Antennas
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 07:43:48

In a message dated 1/27/2009 3:06:40 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
europa-list@matronics.com writes:

Most  transponders have a peak power of up to 250 watts not two
Kilowatts.

Hey Tim,

You are correct here. I misread the spec's on the data sheet. Peak  power, as
listed for my Garmin and for a Narco that I have in another aircraft  is
indeed 250 watts as you state. I misread the specifications under the
transmitter

portion, but didn't catch that they were speaking  about peak ERP for a
particular type of antenna for these  transponders. That's what I get for trying
discuss technical issues before my  morning coffee.

Again, there are indeed a host of other things that are higher on the list
in terms of safety. I wholeheartedly agree. However, I maintain  that
unnecessary RF exposure at this power level is not something to  ignore. I have
two
friends who have sustained serious eye damage, one of  which is legally blind,

because they did not heed the  warnings when aiming antennas while attempting to

achieve moon bounce  at similar power levels. This eye damage was sustained
---From brief, but  repeated encounters with the signal radiating from the back

lobe of an antenna where the signal level was some 60 dB  down from the primary

lobe. Once your retinas are damaged, that it. I'm not  trying to scare
anyone, I just want to make them aware of the  potential danger of repeated,
close

up exposure to this level of RF. From  my experience most people are not aware

that retinas can be damaged from RF  exposure.  I'm very cautious around RF
because I work around  it regularly and have for over 20 years. I've seen first

hand what it  can do to people. To each his own, I suppose. BTW, the
childbearing comment  was meant as a joke, but it is well established that
repeated

exposure to  RF does indeed reduce sperm count.

 As I have said here numerous times before, if you place your  antenna at
least two wave lengths away from your person you will  reduce your exposure by

96%. Two wave lengths at 1090 Mhz is, as you  say, about  22" or 60 cm.

Regards,

John  Lawton
Whitwell, TN (TN89)
N245E -  Flying