Europa-List: Service ceiling, XS mono with 912S

Subject: Europa-List: Service ceiling, XS mono with 912S
From: John & Paddy Wigney <johnwigney@windstream.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 11:58:14

Hi Ira,

I believe your service ceiling may be a little higher than 14,000 ft.
During my initial test period time I borrowed some oxygen gear and did a
service ceiling check on a Carolina Blue day. I did not take it up to
+100 fpm but when I was at 16,000 ft and I was still going up at > 200
fpm, I thought that was enough and it was getting chilly up there with
no cockpit heat. Details were as follows :-

Date: Feb.18, 2002
Estimated take off weight with ballast and full tank = 1312 lbs
Take off altitude = 968 ft MSL,  OAT = 12 degC
After 30 min 55 sec, altitude = 16,000 ft MSL, OAT = -10 degC. Density
altitude = 15,617 ft. Rate of climb = 220 fpm.

Cheers, John

N262WF, XS mono, 912S, Whirlwind hydraulic constant speed prop.
(http://www.whirlwindaviation.com/series100.php)
Mooresville, North Carolina