Re: Europa-List: Elevator Trim Tab slot.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Elevator Trim Tab slot.
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 13:33:56

On Jan 24, 2009, at 12:07 PM, craig bastin wrote:

> I searched the archives for a bit, but other than references to the
> slot, I wonder if anyone has devised a way to cover the trim tab
> slots from the inside
> with some sort of sliding plate.

Hey Craig,

it's been said that "great minds run in the same channel"...on the
other hand,

it's also been said that "fools think alike".

What I've done is make a couple of 2 ply flat layups large enough to
cover the slot throughout the entire control range w/ a hole for the
"T-bar" in the center; the layups are held snug against the inner
surface of the rear lower fuselage w/ small grommet-like tubular
rubber bands (which slip onto the "T-bar")...the kind sold at cattle
ranch supply stores and commonly used for castrating steers...they
came to my attention as my son, who blew off his right hand w/
dynamite a few years back, uses them in conjunction w/ his prosthetic
"hook"....(amen to that whole episode). I've also made some small FG
clips to keep the sides flush inside. Since I have 5" dia. (net) holes
port and stbd to service the Singleton tail wheel mod, I figure I'll
have some access to either futz with it or tear it out if needed. I
intend to pre-paint them prior to install and bonding-on the top
fuselage.  Sorry, no pixs at present.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Fred
A194