Re: Europa-List: Re: AAE Antennas

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: AAE Antennas
From: Tim Houlihan <houlihan@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 13:17:09

Hi John

Your comments about power output are correct, but you have to include in
your calculations that the AM comms radio transmitts for as long as you
press the PTT wich could be for several tens of seconds whereas the
Transponder  replies  with a number of very short  pulses  in the range
of microseconds when replying.
For sure the peak power is up to 250 watts  but the mean power is very low.
If you worry about that consider your cell phone working at 900 Mhz or
so, its in your shirt pocket most of the time responding to updates from
the base station every so often, and then you get it out and place it
next to your ear and make continuous transmission's (its true duplex
operation !) for several tens of minutes. And if you are on the fringes
of a cell the power is ramped up to maintain communication.

Worry about more immediate things first.

Regards

Tim Houlihan
G-BZTH

P.S. my microwave experience is some years old so please correct me if I
get it wrong !