Europa-List: Re: AAE Antennas

Subject: Europa-List: Re: AAE Antennas
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 07:14:51
In a message dated 1/24/2009 3:13:23 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
europa-list@matronics.com writes:

> [...]
point on the rudder trailing edge; will these wires  (running down the
back side of the stern post) create electronic  interference if I were
to adopt your antenna  solution?.<<<<

Hey Fred,

The way to make a highly directional antenna out of a dipole is to put a
metallic object parallel and in close proximity to the antennas  elements. I
would avoid putting any metallic objects, particularly along the  entire length
of
the antenna elements, that are within 2 wave lengths  distance from the
antenna. If you do this you will likely change  the radiation pattern of the
antenna considerably and you risk having blind  spots, along with poor transmit
and
receive characteristics. The two wave  length distance is a general rule of
thumb. Whether or not your strobe  wiring will interfere also depends on your
radio's noise rejection  characteristics. Noise rejection characteristics vary

---From radio to radio and  manufacturer to manufacturer, but one thing is
certain. Aircraft Com radios  are AM and that does not bode well for noise
rejection

at all, regardless of who  made it. I would try to keep your strobe wiring and

the light itself as far away  as possible from antennas and audio wiring and
be sure to ground the  strobe shield wire on one end, preferably to the case
of the strobe power  supply, such as under one of the mounting bolts so that
the shield wire contacts  the case of the strobe power supply.

install  the Bob Archer in the fin?...or should I move the BA forward
of the  rear bulkhead to where there would be adequate height within
the  fuselage shell?<<<<<

Consider antenna accessibility if you are thinking of placing it  inside the
vertical fin. There might come a time at some point in the future  where you
will need to get at it. This isn't likely, but it would be my luck if  I were
to place an antenna in an inaccessible area I would have to get to  it for some

reason. I would think that would result in major surgery if you  install it
inside the fin above the bottom rib. One of the reasons why I  put my AAE Com
antenna on the back side of the stern post was for  accessibility. For
installation forward of the rear bulkhead, again you  have to consider the
metallic

objects that are in close proximity, i.e.,  elevator push/pull tube, elevator
mass balance, etc. One solution might be to  install your Com antenna right
behind the "D" panel in the baggage bay bulkhead.  You're only radiating about
5-8
watts with the Com, so there isn't much of an RF  hazard to consider. The
transponder antenna is one I would want as far away as  possible from me, audio

wiring, and other  electronics that might be sensitive. Some transponders pulse

as  high as 250 watts ERP. 1090 Mhz at that power level is certainly
something to  consider.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

John  Lawton