Europa-List: Exhaust Question

Subject: Europa-List: Exhaust Question
From: JEFF ROBERTS <jeff@rmmm.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 21:15:39
Exhaust question from a non technical Europa builder flyer. I remember
my flight instructor 15 or 20 years back always said a stupid question
is the one not ask so here it goes...
As I'm doing my annual and looking at this large muffler pushed into a
small place I can't help wondering why it has to be this large. It
would seem something smaller wouldn't have such a heat buildup and
allow cooling air from above to move down thru easier. I understand the
noise requirements across the pond but here in the states has anyone
gone with something smaller? Would it not be good for the 912 to go
with straight pips?
Just curious...

Jeff R.
A258 - N128LJ / Gold Rush 170 hours and climbing slowly.