RE: Europa-List: A/C paint other than white

Subject: RE: Europa-List: A/C paint other than white
From: Terry Seaver terrys <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:28:34

Hi Frank,

There is the story of a white Europa with a dark blue stripe down the
centerline of the fuselage.  On a hot day in Phoenix the heat on the
stripe warped the fuselage sides.
A Europa builder here in California had his painter put a light grey
primer on a control surface and left it in the sun to measure the
temperature.  They left it out too long and it was warped by the heat.
The only composites I know of that are not painted white are the carbon
fiber ones, which for some reason are not as sensitive to heat as the
glass fiber ones.

Regards,
Terry Seaver
A135/N135TD