Re: Europa-List: A/C paint other than white

Subject: Re: Europa-List: A/C paint other than white
From: David Stanbridge Swift TG <david.stanbridge@swifttg.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 00:20:20

Tg is one thing. Practicalities are another. I have a Slingsby Firefly that
is an early GRP aircraft. Last year I know of a owner who paid many
thousands of dollars to have a different colour tested to ensure that the UV
absorption did not exceed the capabilities of the material. In the end there
were compromises on the colour and the places that it could be applied.

This is a SERIOUS issue that requires SERIOUS attention. The Firefly for
instance is restricted to aerobatics below a surface temperature, which is a
gauge not always fitted.

For the Europa different colours and its impact on UV absorption has not
been comprehensively tested. For sake of safety I would not go there without
it being proved for the conditions in which it will be operated.

Dave

David Stanbridge

Swift Technology Group Limited
www.swifttg.com