Re: Europa-List: A/C paint other than white

Subject: Re: Europa-List: A/C paint other than white
From: Duncan & Ami McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 19:40:58

I have an aircraft painted in pearl white, which is sort of off-white.
Temperature measurements on colour swatches prior to using this scheme
showed that the pearl white was 2C warmer than pure white in very clear-air,
noon summer (end of May actually) sunshine (at about 52 deg latitude).

I also have a temperature probe under the roof skin. This has not recorded
any alarming temperatures; certainly all less than 40C in European usage.
Actually, the cockpit gets warmest by means of insolation through the
windows if left parked in the sun.

Duncan McF.