Re: Europa-List: Landing Lights

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Landing Lights
From: karelvranken <karelvranken@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 15:32:43
Rob,
Do you have some pic's?
Best regards and happy new year.
Karel Vranken.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Rob Neils
  To: europa-list@matronics.com
  Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2009 2:47 PM

  Trev,

  Because N128HW ("I, too, ate Hotel Whiskey!) is a motorglider I took
special precautions to decrease drag as much as possible.

  I looked everywhere for the best gear leg to wheel fairing and found
nothing - not on the web and not at airshows.

  After cogitating, scratching head, drinking beer and facing East, the
muses wre enticed and they spoke, "Make the gear leg bell-bottomed."
Thus evolved a simple solution to getting a low-friction but
high-strength intersection.  The bell-bottomed shape at the end of the
gear makes it very easy to afix the wheel fairing.  Afix blue foam to
the bottom of the gearleg and shape the beel-bottom.  Having previously
built or bought the fairing, use double-sided tape to stick sandpaper to
the fairing where it will connect to the bellbottom.  Rub the fairing
agains the bottom of the blue foam to get an exact contour.  Fibberglass
the bellbottom and cut it to a pleasing shape.  Carve out or dissolve
the blue foam.

  Drill through the bell-bottom into the fairing to make screw hole.
Afix nutplate to the inside of the wheelfairing wherever there's a screw
hole.  This set-up makes it easy to afix and disassemble the wheel
fairing from the gear leg.

  To get a smooth transition afix duct tape around the edge of the
bell-bottom.  Slather dry miro onto the wheel fairing / bellbottom
joint. Let cure long enough to carefully cut arround the bellbottom with
a razon blade so you can release the fairing from the bellbottom.  Allow
to cure completely.  Sand down the edges as needed.

  P.S. The landing lights are fully aim-able.

  Rob