Re: Europa-List: Landing lights

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Landing lights
From: ALAN YERLY <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 18:16:06
Craig,
Why not make a nice looking teardrop for the aileron inspection plate
and use a 55 watt halogen driving light nicely faired in.  I've done it
once with a Whelen recognition light and once with a $15 Walmart driving
light set, and both work fine.  Of course you must not have the wires
interfere with the controls.  I've seen guys put it in the mono and
trigear outboard fairings, and if you like to spend hours, cut the
leading edge and put in a classical styled headlight in the leading
edge.  That's if you want to spend another 100 hours making it perfect,
sealed on the Leading Edge, vented and maintainable.

On my website I have a picture of one in the cowl, and mine is in a
modified flap hinge cover under the fuselage using a standard 55 watt
halogen driving light.  I chose under the fuselage because there are
mounting bolts already built in to the flap hinge bracket, and it just
takes a little foam and clay to make a nice looking fairing to go over
the bulb assembly and bracket.  Then remove and dissolve the foam, clean
it up, run a wire or two and be done with it...

Where ever you mount it, think of serviceability and vibration.
A lot of choices

Bud Yerly
Custom Flight Creations