Re: Europa-List: Landing Lights

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Landing Lights
From: Rob Neils <RobNeils@Q.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 05:47:14
Trev,

Because N128HW (=22I, too, ate Hotel Whiskey!) is a motorglider I took specia
l precautions to decrease drag as much as possible.

I looked everywhere for the best gear leg to wheel fairing and found nothin
g - not on the web and not at airshows.

After cogitating, scratching head, drinking beer and facing East, the muses
 wre enticed and they spoke, =22Make the gear leg bell-bottomed.=22  Thus evolv
ed a simple solution to getting a low-friction but high-strength intersecti
on.  The bell-bottomed shape at the end of the gear makes it very easy to a
fix the wheel fairing.  Afix blue foam to the bottom of the gearleg and sha
pe the beel-bottom.  Having previously built or bought the fairing, use dou
ble-sided tape to stick sandpaper to the fairing where it will connect to t
he bellbottom.  Rub the fairing agains the bottom of the blue foam to get a
n exact contour.  Fibberglass the bellbottom and cut it to a pleasing shape
.  Carve out or dissolve the blue foam.

Drill through the bell-bottom into the fairing to make screw hole.  Afix nu
tplate to the inside of the wheelfairing wherever there's a screw hole.  Th
is set-up makes it easy to afix and disassemble the wheel fairing from the
gear leg.

To get a smooth transition afix duct tape around the edge of the bell-botto
m.  Slather dry miro onto the wheel fairing / bellbottom joint. Let cure lo
ng enough to carefully cut arround the bellbottom with a razon blade so you
 can release the fairing from the bellbottom.  Allow to cure completely.  S
and down the edges as needed.

P.S. The landing lights are fully aim-able.

Rob