Re: Europa-List: A question about post curing?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: A question about post curing?
From: rparigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 01:03:01

Hi Jeff

We post cured in a sausage:
http://www.europaowners.org/modules.php?set_albumName=album213&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

It rolls up to a small bundle when not in use, it is not anywhere near as
insulated
as a piece of insulation, but not bad with a blanket of bubble wrap draped
over the top.

We have a muffin fan that keeps it inflated and a zipper to enter, and 2 thin
aluminium
poles to keep erected when you open the zipper.

Using at least one 1500 watt resistive heater that articulates (has a fan
inside).
Needed to mutilate the thermostat and recalibrate and put in a higher
temperature
thermal fuse. Can't remember if that higher temperature fuse is a "piece
of safety wire", or had a thermal fuse on hand. I think I had a copier thermal
fuse I used. This works well in summer. If it's cool out, needed is a second
heater, a cheap resistive oil heater from Lowes or Home Depot works well, again
you need to mutilate. Just keep in mind that those oil heaters can leak.
Never had one leak in post cure tent, but unmutilated sample that keeps edge off
cold in our build tent when we are not there did in fact leak. Plan for a leak
if you use one. Typical they have a few heat settings.

Like others indicated, sample plenty of areas, you don't want to hurt anything.

Good idea to clamp aluminium angle to trail edge of anti-servo tabs,
stabilators,
ailerons and flaps to prevent waves.

I think 1500 watts is fine for you. We slowly ramped up temperatures, and slowly
ramped down. At post cure time I had some reason for that, but forgot why.

Wayne took to bathtub and scrubbed real hard with plenty hot water and plain old
green Palmolive to remove any blush, finger prints and other??

Best handle with cotton gloves after wash, post cure and fill right away.
http://www.europaowners.org/modules.php?set_albumName=album219&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Ron Parigoris

Visit -  www.EuropaOwners.org