Re: Europa-List: when to attach spar strap

Subject: Re: Europa-List: when to attach spar strap
From: ALAN YERLY <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 15:07:38
Rowland and others,

The exact time to do the spar strap is up to you.  I do it when
convenient after rig of the sockets.  Be sure to set each wing at the
same incidence angle prior to glassing.  I set the cardboard as depicted
and I ensure that the release tape has two layers on the spar so the
rig/de-rig gets just a little more play.  Note the spacing between the
starboard root spar and the socket or the between spar spacing when
rigged to the fuselage.  In the shop here, I use a spare socket cup to
set the spacing, but a thin washer will do.  That spacing needs to be
duplicated so the spar strap is not to narrow.  I set up the wings top
side up and jig them in place.  Once I have the glass on, I put peel ply
around it and then tape it up to hold the glass from sagging.  Once
cured, it pulls apart easily.  Doing it this way really makes the
alignment through the spar strap a breeze later on.  Remember, the spar
strap needs to be snug, not tight.  As far as when to do it, I like the
spar strap for self rigging as it is a built in alignment device for me.
 Once I have the wings rigged, I put on the spar strap.  Personally, it
is a must for tail draggers.

Note:  Depending on your clearances, once I found that the aileron cross
link bolts scraped on the strap during rig.  I changed out the bolt to a
525 screw for clearance.

Enjoy your building.

Bud Yerly
Custom Flight Creations