Re: Europa-List: tourque tube troubles

Subject: Re: Europa-List: tourque tube troubles
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 02:11:23

Hi Paul

"Anyone had TP5 disbond from the tail plane root rib? If so I'd like
> to pick your brains."

My partner and his dad picked up our kit in Florida and trucked it back to
New York. The first time I saw kit, the first thing I did was begin to
fool with tailplanes.  It took 45 minutes to have a TP5 debonded!
Tailplanes were "accelerated". Here is how we dealt with:
http://www.europaowners.org/modules.php?set_albumName=album220&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

We did send back and repair was putting a fillet of flox from outside
(April 2003). Unacceptable. Too were worries that the outer bushings was
bonded as well as the inners which would probably fail right after final
paint applied.

"When" our inner and outer bushings become debonded, there will be a lot
of aeroplane coming with them.

Note rowing skull CF oars for guide while assembling. I like the Mod. of
wrapping fiberglass around both bushings on a new build, but not too easy
to do on a completed tailplane. I would rather see the first layer of BID
using redux and peelply, then when cured use Aeropoxy/BID to complete.
Redux holds better to metals and its slight flexibility prevents as harsh
a point loading. Still a fine mod because upon assembly it prevents
tremendous loads being exerted on inner bushing until torque tube enters
the outer bushing. I do understand the BID encapsulates the bushings,
still first layer of Redux is better IMHO.

Ron Parigoris