Re: Europa-List: tourque tube troubles

Subject: Re: Europa-List: tourque tube troubles
From: William Harrison <willie.harrison@tinyonline.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 18:20:43

I suggest that this problem can also be caused by undue side loads
translating into torsional and axial loads on a badly lubricated
torque tube when putting the tailplane on or off  (easily done
especially if you don't hold it the way it says in the user manual).

The design is not brilliant, with quite a small area for the bond.
Repair could be difficult if the original internal flox fillet
prevents the disbonded sleeve from being removed completely for
degreasing. Note that if you do need to degrease in situ prior to
rebonding, then IPA is an effective degreasing agent that does not
dissolve the blue foam like some other solvents.

Needless to say (??) anyone with a G-reg aircraft who wants to go
public about such a problem might need their repair scheme to be
approved by the LAA if they didn't want to risk invalidating their
Permit, and therefore, in turn, their insurance.

Willie Harrison (too tired to write the book, "A Plane is Reborn" and
still waiting for the LAA to give me my Permit back after a 700 hr re-
build.....)