Europa-List: Fuel tank - bulges and leakage.

Subject: Europa-List: Fuel tank - bulges and leakage.
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:18:40

On Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008, at 13:46 US/Pacific, Sidsel & Svein Johnsen
wrote:

> <sidsel.svein@oslo.online.no>
>
> All,
>
> Preventing the tank from bulging too much forward will of course
> prevent it touching any of the controls or the wing spar (in which
> case the strap on the left spar might catch on the bulge during
> withdrawal/installation).

Before getting Svein's thoughtful and informative post (thank you
Svein!), I spent some time looking for a solution to potential bulging
in my tank (which came w/ kit # A194, shipped from the factory in fall,
2000).

In order to "contain" the (outward)  bulging, I reset my spacers (which
have generous curves at the corners of the specified lay up) to ensure
a gap between tank (dry and never filled w/ anything)  of between 1/8"
and 1/4" and maintaining 1/4" clearance from the aileron control rod, I
was planning to do the following:

Insert a piece of 1/8" thick plywood, 6.25" x 34",  w/ 1 layer of bid
each side between the spacers and the front face of the tank,
cushioning the plywood w/ 1/8" thick "sill sealer" (I believe it is a
closed cell polypropylene foam available in 6" rolls at any building
supply) between the plywood and the forward face of the tank. Prior to
insertion, I would add a 3/4" x 2" x 34" foam stiffener w/ 2 layers bid
on the forward face of the plywood. The plywood would be held in place
w/ a 2 ply bid 2" wide tape which laps onto the underside of the FG
"shelf" (previously installed as per manual). In doing this, my goal
would be to resist "bulging" of the forward face of the tank.

Having reviewed Svein's post, I will not be doing anything until we
have more information, hopefully in answer to Svein's questions on the
nature of the HDPE used in our tanks.

I do appreciate so much the value of this forum as we attempt to
address this insidious problem.

Fred

--
believed to be clean.