RE: Europa-List: Fuel tank - bulges and leakage.

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Fuel tank - bulges and leakage.
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 17:51:34
Arnold;

A143 has been down for awhile while I am developing an aluminum tank for it.  I
got the leaks after draining gasoline from the tank.  What happens is that the
tank expands and I am told that if it is drained it shrinks back slightly.
My crack developed right alonside one of the layup straps in the saddle area.
Get a small mechanics mirror and start probing around.  The bulges you are
seeing
in the spar aperature are only an example  of what happens  to all of the
surfaces of the tank.  When I cut my tank out of the cockpit seatback the top
of the tank was all rippled where it had expanded and was constrained by the
top of the seat back.  The back flat surface also exhibited  thesame phenomenon
it was just constrained by the cockpit section.

Steve Hagar
N40 SH
Mesa AZ