RE: Europa-List: Fuel tank - bulges and leakage.

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Fuel tank - bulges and leakage.
From: streamlinedrafting@iinet.net.au <streamlinedrafting@iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:12:20

Hi guys, I am just about to start on a part built Europa XS #374 fuselarge is
still

in 2 pieces so I'm very interested
to here these problems with the fuel tank (although the cockpit module is in).
I have
also heard of a similar case in
Western Australia where fuel (unleaded petrol)
had been sitting in the tank for about 8 - 12 months I think. The tank split on
the
fuel line.
Does any one know or heard of  the SMP system, link attached?

http://www.schuetz.net/schuetz/de/industry_services/service/downloads/brochure_smp_eng
lish.pdf

Regards
Peter H
WA

>Melding
>

>Arnold;
>
>A143 has been down for awhile while I am developing an aluminum tank for it. I
got
the leaks after draining gasoline from the tank. What happens is that the tank

expands and I am told that if it is drained it shrinks back slightly. My crack

developed right alonside one of the layup straps in the saddle area. Get a small

mechanics mirror and start probing around. The bulges you are seeing in the spar

aperature are only an example of what happens to all of the surfaces of the
tank.

When I cutmy tankout of the cockpit seatback the top of the tank was all rippled

where it had expanded and was constrained by the top of the seat back. The back
flat
surface also exhibited thesame phenomenon it was just constrained by the cockpit

section.

>Steve Hagar
>N40 SH
>Mesa AZ

fuselage on my Europa XS trigear (LN-ABM), through the access holes below the
tank.

Draining of the tank was started and the leakage stopped when 20 - 25 litres
were

remaining in the tank.

>Two daysbefore I had drained the tank completely since the aircraft had been
stationary (in a heated hangar) since 1. july 2006 with app. 35 litres of mogas
in
the tank. The day of start upI filled 18 litres and checked all hose
connections.

Started the engine and runned it for 5 minutes to check hose connections to the

recently installed oil thermostat. Then filled another 36 litres of mogas and
started

the engine forthelocal flight.

>Removing the wings, it was revealed that the tank front facing the wing spars,
had
great bulges, bulges inwards and outwards, and the centre one touching the
aileron

cross tube, see attached picture. I have not yet localized the crack, but I
suspect

the saddle section just ahead of the fibreglass bracket. To me the in and out
shape

of the bulges indicate compression stresses due to material expansion (caused by
the
fuel applied, 95 octane mogas?). And I think the crack is caused by shear
stresses

just forward of the bracket mentioned.

>I will appreciate comments and advice. At present I do not trust the material,

polyethylene, used in the tank. Has anybody applied metal tanks?