Europa-List: 912 rubber components.

Subject: Europa-List: 912 rubber components.
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:51:12

My Rotax 912 has passed its 5 year mark and now requires complete
replacement of all rubber components.

Conair sell a kit and although it would be the easiest option at a cost of
320 is certainly NOT the cheapest.

Even if you are able to source the coolant and oil hoses elsewhere there is
still a fairly painful bill for 2x carburettor flanges (57 each) and then
2x carburettor diaphragms (45 each).  Aerosport sell these genuine Rotax
parts slightly cheaper (though not much).
http://www.aerosportuk.com/acatalog/Aerosport_Shop_Carburettor_Flange_37.html

There dosent seem to be an alternative source for the flanges (ie: the
genuine ones) , though I believe the Mikuni flanges are claimed to be the
same - however the diaphragms are available from here
http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfinal.php?function=show&subs=084&title=DIAPHRAGMS+%26+GASKETS

and they are genuine Bing components. I havent as yet figured out the
correct size yet though.

I note that Aerosport no longer list the Mikuni flange as an alternative -
presumably Rotax had a quiet word and made them stop selling them. Its
interesting to note the Mikuni flanges are available on Ebay for as little
as $5 each, but it is probably too risky to use non Rotax components - YES I
am aware that it constitutes a non approved modification.

Does anyone else have a simple cost effective solution to the problem - or
should I just grin and pay up.

I also spoke to Roger at the factory who told me that replacing the fuel
lines and radiator hoses is NOT mandatory as far as they are concerned -
anyone know different.

However there is an issue with the PVC sight hose as my understanding is
that the PFA dosent approve its use (anywhere in the fuel system).
Presumably a glass sight tube is the only alternative.

Carl Pattinson

G-LABS

PS: Does anyone know the correct size of the Bing rubber diaphragm - is it a
32m or a 40mm??? (or is it neither).