Re: Europa-List: CHTs everywhere

Subject: Re: Europa-List: CHTs everywhere
From: josok <josoke@ukolo.fi>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 14:15:46

Interesting data!
On my bird there are ring probes under the spark plugs, and one Rotax cht probe
is in use. The ring probe on #3 indicates about 15 C higher as the Rotax probe.
Since oil- and coolant temperature are coupled in the oi-water heat exchanger,
i am using the oil temperature as coolant temperature indication. All the
temperatures are within 1 degree when the engine is cold. If the engine
pre-heater
is on and the cowl under it's blanket, all temperatures are again within
1 degree of about 50 C.
My concern is in flight, especially on low power, like 55%, the front ring
terminals
are around 60 C, and the hottest rear is around 100, with 95 C for the other.
Oil will typically be 85 to 90 C That's with an OAT of -5 to -10 C. My next
move is to temporarily block the standard air cooling openings and see if
the Rotax shroud and it's intake will produce a more even picture. And then hope
for acceptable results in the hot summer.

Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen

Visit -  www.EuropaOwners.org