Re: Europa-List: Mod 72 Debacle

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mod 72 Debacle
From: ALAN YERLY <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 19:21:02
Don't cut them off.

The etching primer is thick enough that you lost the clearances for a
slip fit.  During the assembly you probably scrapped the paint enough to
cause galling (or little paint rolls) which has locked it up.

Clean off the primer, I would use a spray of acetone to clean the inside
of the tube from the rear.  That will loosen the paint up.  Use a fine
tip heat gun and heat the frame only where the interference is.  Etching
primer gets soft at about 200F (just to a sizzle when water put on it is
enough).  That will not hurt the tubing or firewall.  Remove the heat
and use alcohol to cool the insert then tap again.  If it moves in go
ahead and try to move it in further or make an extraction tool.

I made the same mistake on one aircraft and had to put a painfully long
screw (5/16 inch with a washer head ground to fit) inside the gear frame
tube but large enough to catch the insert wall.  I then borrowed a slide
hammer to extract the insert.  Lucky for me it was only in about an
inch.  But it still requires removing the bolts from the frame,
machining a bolt head which will fit your slide hammer, replace the
frame bolts, and then heating the stupid thing, cooling the insert and
then pull it out.

Now I just ream, squirt with zinc chromate or the Corrosion X (ACP or
ACF 50) and tap it in wet and recoat front and rear to seal it in.  If
you put primer on both the parts and let it dry, make the paint thin and
use the ACF 50 as a lube as well as for anticorrosion.

Hope it helps.

Bud Yerly,
Custom Flight Creations.