Re: Europa-List: LG mounting frame

Subject: Re: Europa-List: LG mounting frame
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 15:23:24

Thanks Graham and Bob for your thoughts. I'm quite mindful of the need
for a close tolerance fit of the shaft within the bushings, hence my
query and head-scratching. I believe the bush "went tight" because of
my failure to scour out the powder coat overspray from the interior of
the LG frame tube; when I tapped the bushing in place w/ a rubber
mallet it compressed just a tad but enough to keep the shaft from
rotating freely.  I believe I've solved my problem satisfactorily as
follows:

I mentioned that I'd only loctited one of the bushes. In order to not
repeat my problem, I happened to have an 80 grit flap wheel for my
Dremel which was about 1/8" dia. smaller than the tube, and I used it
to hone the interior of the tube, removing all overspray from the
powder coating and brightened it up. This allowed the second bush
(which turned freely...while mounted on the shaft) to slide
effortlessly into the LG frame tube.

After taking another look at the bush which had been previously
loctited in the tube, I used the flap wheel to lightly hone or dress
(not sure of the proper term here) the inside surface of the
bush...after several iterations (including sequential greasing and
degreasing w/ solvent), this seemed to be doing the trick. The shaft
now rotates freely without slop, and I've now loctited the second bush
in place.

Onward and upward,

Fred
A194