Europa-List: Re: Digital Readout Engine Gauges

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Digital Readout Engine Gauges
From: John & Paddy Wigney <johnwigney@alltel.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:39:13
Hi Michael,

I hope your project is progressing well. I would like to offer another
opinion on digital vs. analog. When I was designing my panel, I
installed a 2 1/4" analog tachometer with the rpm range markings for the
912S. I also installed a Grand Rapids EIS 2004-W, see
http://www.grtavionics.com/model_2004.htm, for my engine monitoring,
fuel status and annunciator requirements. I assumed that the analog
gauge would be my primary reference for engine speed. Before flying the
plane I had been talking with Greg Toman, the Grand Rapids Pres., and
mentioned my analog tacho. His comment was "Oh, you will never use that.
You will always use the EIS." My reaction was that he was incorrect
since I also thought that analog readings were easier and quicker to
interpret. However, I found that as soon as I started flying the plane,
I never looked at the analog gauge. The EIS digits refresh very quickly
and are very accurate. When I build my next panel?, it will have an EIS
and no analog tacho.

Cheers, John
N262WF, mono XS, 912S, Whirlwind c/s prop
Mooresville, North Carolina