Europa-List: FS 02

Subject: Europa-List: FS 02
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 18:41:43
I have just discovered an innocuous little statement in Chap. 17 under
the heading of Fuel sight gauge which states:

"Push the restrictor FS02 about 2.5 cm (1") deep into one end of the
sight gauge tube, inserting the
drilled end first. Oriented this way you will be able to see any debris
that may find its way into the
fuel."

I confess this statement leaves me baffled.

First, as I inspect FS 02, I don't understand its purpose, as I note it
has the tiniest of holes thru which fuel must flow in order to reach
the sight gauge.  Would this tiny hole be subject to clogging thus
rendering the sight gauge inaccurate? Why is this restrictor necessary?
Has anyone not installed one? My kit included two FS 02 restrictors;
where is the other one supposed to be installed?

Second, it's not clear to me which end is considered the "drilled
end"....?

Third, from what vantage point is one "able to see any debris that may
find its way into the fuel"? (My sight gauge tubing does not connect
directly to the fuel tank boss because I have installed remote fuel
drains; my sight gauge tubing "tees" off the fuel drain line and is not
visable thru the fuselage bottom access panel.)

Any insights into this issue would be gratefully appreciated!

As an aside, I've made a short cylinder of Redux w/ lots of
micro-balloons, 3/16" diameter which I have floating in a jar of fuel
to see whether it remains buoyant. When I've found some bright paint
which is truly fuel-proof, I'll paint it with the intention of
inserting it into the sight gauge tubing in order to make it easier to
read the fuel level. If I'm doing something dumb here, I'd appreciate a
heads up!

Fred
A194

--