Europa-List: Tailplane retention

Subject: Europa-List: Tailplane retention
From: Roger Sheridan <rogerjohnsheridan@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 23:59:58

Hi Bob,

I haven't applied for a mod for the "levers" but did get this
response from Andy Draper:

Dear Roger,

Thanks for the idea for tailplane retention.  I was sent copies from a
couple of other sources yesterday and I must say that I like the
principle of what you've done.  In anticipation of discussions with
Roger Bull from Europa later today (if he makes it past the floods!)
about possible solutions to the issues raised following the accident to
G-HOFC, I have drawn up a development of your design, using a
compression spring (a tension spring might break) and with a tang that
protrudes through the bottom flange as well as the top when latched to
relieve the pivot from any loads.  The aim is that we can offer a method
of tailplane retention that requires no composite work to install - a
lot of current Europa owners don't have the skills nor the materials.

How are you doing?  How is the Europa project coming along?  I hope that
we might catch up with each other soon.

Regards
Andy

Can't enter into further discussions for a fortnight as I'm off on
hols in the morning.

Brgds,

Roger