RE: Europa-List: Tailplane retention

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Tailplane retention
From: glenn crowder <gcrowder2@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:22:20

  I like it.  I'm doing it this way rather than trying to improve the TP6 b
ond!  Thats nuts!

                                              Glenn> Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007
casonline.com> To: europa-list@matronics.com> > --> Europa-List message pos
ted by: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>> > Far be it for me, a humble l
ate-builder, to chime in on this very > technical discussion thread; noneth
eless, in the spirit of "open source > communication" with its underlying p
remise that an optimal solution to > the problem will arise out of the clam
or, I have a few thoughts to > share. If I seem long-winded, my apologies,
but clarity is my goal, as > I've had difficulty understanding some of the
posts of others whose > brevity obscured (at least to me) some aspects of t
heir intent.> > As I look at my "pre-glassed" tailplanes which came w/ my "
accelerated" > kit, the first thing I notice is that the pip pin recesses a
s supplied > bear no resemblance to the drawings in the manual...at the ski
n > surface, the recesses are round...about 1.25" diameter...and taper down
 > to a .50" hemisphere in which is centered the hole for the pip pin. So >
 I really have no assurance as to what extent the TP6 is properly bonded >
in or exactly what is going on...I ponder this while reading about > variat
ions (such as TP6 location) which others are discovering.> > As I review Mo
d 73 and digest the insightful posts regarding the > process of accomplishi
ng it, I can't escape my sense that...while it's > doable and apparently (a
t least to those with both the hands-on > building skills and technical kno
wledge to make such an assessment) > solves the problem...the mod seems lik
e a bit of a band aid solution. > If I understand it correctly, it relies u
pon a proper bond between a > small crescent of a portion of TP6 to some bi
d cloth which transfers > any loads to the skin of the tailplane....I quest
ion whether I want to > rely on that bond to resist impacts from normal (an
d sometimes not so > normal) rigging.> > If the fundamental goal is to simp
ly keep the TP12 pins fully engaged, > I'm looking elsewhere from the pip p
ins.> > I'm looking at the tailplane root close out which, on my tailplanes
, > looks like about .088" of solid FG skin. I'm referring to the flanges >
 which measure a full inch in width...from edge to innermost surface of > t
he inboard plywood insert with the bushes which receive the TP12 pins.> > I
 liked Carl P.'s suggestion (as I understood it) of a hardened steel > pin
extending thru both top and bottom skins and lying inboard of the > TP12 dr
iveplate. The FG flange could be suitably reinforced...perhaps > with an em
bedded plate which could be threaded to receive a threaded > rod, thus elim
inating fasteners extending beyond the plane of the > tailplane surface. I
did not understand Carl's calling for the rod to > be 9" long, as the depth
 of the tailplane at the root is just under 5", > but perhaps that was a ty
po. The beauty of Carl's suggestion is that it > is simple and direct...it
is completely visable anytime the tailplane > is slid away from the fuselag
e an inch or so...and the condition of the > "fix" can be monitored at any
time in the future.> > Now that FG flange is only 1" wide, and the TP12 fla
nges measure 7/16", > and the bushes sit 1/16" proud of the glassed plywood
...so...after a > (let's say) 1/4" dia. hole is drilled for a hardened stee
l pin to slide > past the TP12 drive plate, there's only a 1/4" left of the
 flange. It > would be sufficient however if the flange were reinforced wit
h an > embedded plate which would allow the forces to be transferred to bot
h > the top and bottom skins.> > The steel pin could be cut flush top and b
ottom; perhaps only the > bottom plate would be threaded, and the top end o
f the pin could be > slotted for a screwdriver so the pin could be turned i
n place (and > perhaps loctite'd?). For redundancy, there could be two pins
 per side > as Carl P. suggested for the faint of heart.> > With such a sol
ution, the uncertainties of the conditions of the foam, > flox, TP5 placeme
nt, and other issues around the pip pins become > irrelevant.> > Amen...tha
nks for wading through this post.> > In the time it's taken me to write thi
s, I may well have been able to > install Mod 73...and...there's always bee
See what you=92re getting into=85before you go there.
http://newlivehotmail.com