Re: Europa-List: RE: EUROPA PIP-PIN RECESS

Subject: Re: Europa-List: RE: EUROPA PIP-PIN RECESS
From: karelvranken <karelvranken@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 00:03:56

Nigel,
I can follow your explanation except when you write: "What is dangerous is
if the taiplanes move outwards allowing them to disconnect the TP10 pins."
TP10's are nylon tubes. You mean perhaps the pins on the TP12?
The pip pin recesses on F-PKRL were made conform the build manual, even
stronger.
The problem I would talk about is the play between TP12 and TP4.
TP4 and TP12 are delivered with holes. When you have to fix them together
with the nylon TP10 tubes then you have to drill very carefully to allow the
clevis pins to be installed. Afterwards I found that the play occured on
starboard side by moving the TP12 by the pins. The mass balance keeps the
TP4 easily in place. So port side no play. When I did the same test on Dirk
Oyen's OO-145, it gave the same result. Factory tolerance? Bigger holes and
clevis pins wasn't a solution (Rowland Carson). Others do have the same
problem hence the discussions: clamps or taper pins. Finally no definite
solution nor mandatory modification. The play measured at trailing edge may
not be more then 1/2". I will have no play at all. So if we are waiting for
a modification to keep a fluttering tailplane on board then I say: You treat
the symptom and not the illness.
Karel Vranken, F-PKRL waiting for next mod and if my problem is not
concerned then Bob Harrison may have an order from me.