Re: Europa-List: RE: EUROPA PIP-PIN RECESS

Subject: Re: Europa-List: RE: EUROPA PIP-PIN RECESS
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:24:26
Ron,

I first want to acknowledge you for taking the time and effort to
respond to my queries with such a thoughtful and nuanced explanation of
what you've done and why. Your willingness to do so creates the real
value I find in the forum discussions of so many critical life safety
issues.

Thanks so much,

Overall, you seem to have taken the bull by the horns in addressing the
apparent fragility of the bonds between the TP6 sleeve/bush, the
plywood insert, and foam...recognizing that your fix would be suspect
in the UK.

On Thursday, June 21, 2007, at 05:49  AM, <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
wrote:

> Just a side note my TP13 bushings were bonded in place with rapid
> epoxy and only 50 % coverage
> and also in the wrong position where the angle of attack was not the
> same
> on both stabilators.

Being alerted to your condition, I've mounted my stabilators
(factory-built in my accelerated XS kit) to the torque tube assembly
and have found that the trailing edges, as measured at the trim tab
hinge line, vary by .375 inches; this translates to an angle of 1.19
degrees; thus the AOA of my stabilators have a differential of that
amount which is troubling to say the least, not only from a visual
standpoint, but more importantly from an aerodynamic standpoint as a
potential contributor to flutter. I attribute this differential to the
misplacement of the TP13 bushes in the plywood inserts at the root of
the stabilator.

> Oval holes, well scuffed washer under the step on the
> bushing and redux/Flox repaired.

By "oval holes", I assume you're referring to the holes in the TT for
the pip pins. Since the TP13 bushes set the AOA of the stabilators, I
don't see how elongating the pip pin holes in the TT can "repair" this
problem. I find NO information in the build manual as to an acceptable
tolerance in the AOA between the two stabilators. The only fix I can
imagine would be to remove the TP13 bushes from one stabilator, fill
the void with flox, redrill for and replace the TP13 bushes so that the
two stabilators are in alignment with identical AOAs.

So all you guys w/ the "accelerated" XS kits: In your build (or now
that you're flying), have you found the same condition as I've
described above? If so, has it been remedied (how?), or has it been
ignored?...and is really no problem whatsoever?

(I'm always doing checks on my anal-retentiveness quotient.)

Input appreciated,

Fred
A194

--