Re: Europa-List: RE: EUROPA PIP-PIN RECESS

Subject: Re: Europa-List: RE: EUROPA PIP-PIN RECESS
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:24:23
Well, this really puts the cat amongst the pigeons.

I have just spent a day upgrading the pins in the tailplane torque so I
could continue flying. Not the nicest job in the world (unless you are a
midget)

The revised bulletin effectively grounds me.

My pip pin hole is circular as are many (its easier to make a cover for
them). Since a circular hole is more "efficient" circumference wise (as
opposed to a rectangle) the circumference of mine aint big enough.

PFA have advised not to modify them to meet the criteria but to wait for
the revised design - oh and most importantly "Do not fly the aircraft".

For those that may have a similar problem the formula is Circumference
is 3.142 x diameter. Area is 3.142 x radius squared.

Limits are

Base of recess must be more than 170 sq mm
Circumference of recess must be more than 125mm

Also recess must have at least 2 layers of bid and must have flox
corners at the join with the tailplane skin.

A one inch (25mm) diameter pip pin recess fails the above criteria -
Area 490sq mm - Circumference only 78mm.

What a bummer.