RE: Europa-List: Europa Widen Shoulder width door mod.

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Europa Widen Shoulder width door mod.
From: gregoryf.flyboy <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 23:54:25

Ok, so I will make a guess at this (a few pros and cons, based on the

The bubble windows are for tall pilots, and are very easy to install, but
may have a negative affect on the airspeed, due to the way it pokes outside
the circumference of the aircraft. It would be a good choice for someone,
where speed is not of the essence, and limited time spent on the mod is.

The door sill mod increases the shoulder space of the Europa (by 1.2"),
requires a bunch of work, but does not affect the cruise speed of the craft.

The raised top method increases the height of the fuselage top, again for
tall pilots. It needs to be implemented during the build of the craft, and
will raise the forward upper part of the fuselage, and not the very rear of
the upper fuselage. It requires a bunch of work, and I must believe that
because of the increase of the frontal forward surface area of the craft
(that the air stream will see), that it will affect the cruise speed by some
extent. Probably to a much smaller extent than the bubble windows, due to a
retaining of the original sleek upper fuselage contour of the Europa.
Possibly the effect might be negligible.

Anyone see something I am grossly missing?

More importantly, are there any real world results that confirm any of this
speculation?

It would be nice to have a more complete grasp of the advantages and
disadvantages for the above modifications.