Re: Europa-List: Re. mono gear collapse

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re. mono gear collapse
From: karelvranken <karelvranken@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 00:48:56
Message                Hi Kingsley and all,
                I made the same measurements as you did with the same
results.
                In my logbook I entered the "optional" mod 51 strut
application on februari 2001 two years after publication. But I did it
my way.
                Page two of the mod begins: The strut will not be
absolutely straight but its sideways flexibility will allow this. I
thought not to allow any                     flexibility at all. Neither
the bending of the lower part of the landing gear lever could ever
receive my green to go. Last but not least
the moment arm to tranfer the moving forces to the three AN4 bolts
seemed to me to long even with the proposed strut. The mecanism
           has also to work when the supporting bungee eventualy fails;
and then friction forces are great.
                In attachment a raw outline of my strut mod. Of the same
alloy I made it in one flat plane. The problems that further occured
were                             easily solved. a) The shaft moved 1,5
cm outwards to accept the lever without bending. In the cockpit module
this was a problem for the                     incurved swell for big
thighs. But since I never had them big, at my age I could easily make
the choice and modified the cockpit module,                     not yet
installed. By eliminating the curve I had a beautifull flat surface as
well horizontal as vertical and believe me certainly as strong as it
            was before, because the way it was made was for people who
never will look how it was done.
                b) I remarked by visiting other builders and Cranfield
and Kemble that for those building like the book; the handle to operate
the lever                         was only at the left side (sorry
trikers, whe are mono's). In my mod I have sufficient space left to
operate the landing gear lever in the same                 vertical
plane without forcing a torsion on the lever and without amputating my
little finger.
                c) At the lowest end I changed the pivot pin by one 4 mm
longer  without problem.
                d) Finally I was lucky to notice that by fixing the
three bolts, the lever gave a light pressure inside to facilitate the
locking in the gates of                     the guide plate.
                By trial and error I made the stuts equal to stop the
overcenter and avoided hammersledge from metal to metal. I remeber that
I was laying                 under my beauty pushing up and down the
gear many, many times. Believe me there was no sexual meaning at all but
I got a real                             satisfaction when I knew it
would perform when I would be the pilot. Meanwhile I have only 25 hours
self done from the beginning ( I am                     flying since
1959) and now waiting for the mod 72 and inspection at the same time.
                Kingsley, I much appreciate your observations,and
forgive me if I did violence to your beautiful language, I am Flemish.
                Since my pics for the modified cockpit module are not
available at the moment, I will send them when I am able to do, you will
                                receive them later on your personal
e-mail adres.
                Greatings to down under,
                Karel Vranken, # 447  F-PKRL