RE: Europa-List: Mono gear collapse

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Mono gear collapse
From: Graeme Smith <gcsmith@flyer.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 21:30:34

Fergus,

I've tried to think of all kinds of safety mechanisms, I've come to the
conclusion that the only hope is to increase the degree of overcentre
locking and to ensure that when the LG12 is in the downgate, the LG08s are
jammed hard against the stops and there is no play anywhere to allow the
overcentre to be 'tripped' by a severe unloading of the suspension such as
would have happened when my aircraft surged over that bump. When it first
hit the bump, the suspension would have been fully compressed, then when the
wheel left the ground the suspension would have been very suddenly unloaded
and would have snapped back so fast that it must have tripped the overcentre
lock. Then when the wheel hit the ground again with the full weight of the
aircraft (plus g forces), there was nothing there to take the load except
the LG12 lever and the downgate in the cockpit ... Game over!

Graeme