RE: Europa-List: Mono gear collapse

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Mono gear collapse
From: Graeme Smith <gcsmith@flyer.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 21:15:08

Answer.... That all depends on what you mean by "when the gear collapsed..."
it was a process that occupied a period of time, albeit a short one. Up
until the point that the aircraft came back down to earth after the surge
over the ski jump, the gear lever was in the down and locked position. When
the wheel hit the ground again (with the overcentre lock now in an
undercentre position) and the full weight of the aircraft was applied to the
LG12 lever, the mod 51 strut, the down gate etc etc, the lever took a bit
less than a blink of an eye to move to the "gear up" position -- I'm glad I
didn't have my hand in the way it would have been amputated. Since there is
no "up stop" on the Europa mono landing gear, the wheel was thrust up to the
top of the wheelwell where it wore all the paint off the flap lever and
ground away the bottom of the throttle box, filling the cockpit with nasty
smelling black smoke.

I presume that the point of your question is along the lines of why didn't
the little toggle lock or the LG12 lever or the down gate or whatever, stop
the gear from retracting, but be aware -- all that stuff in the cockpit is
there to stop you inadvertently retracting the gear, e.g. by bumping it with
your hand, there is no way that any of that stuff can take the undercarriage
loads -- they must be taken by the landing gear frame and that only happens
if the gear is 'overcentre'.

I know that the LG12 was securely in the downgate, and that the little
toggle lock was down when the aircraft hit the ground again, because it was
all damaged by the impact. When the overcentre gave way, the full
undercarriage loading was borne by the LG12 lever (but only for a VERY short
time) -- the LG12 was bent, the mod51 strut is now about 1cm shorter than
before and the lever guide plate, into which the slot and the downgate are
cut, was prised from the top of the tunnel. Believe me, if the gear is not
locked over centre everything goes belly up (literally).

Regards,
Graeme