Re: Europa-List: Vne Speed

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Vne Speed
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:50:02
Hi All,

Apropos the questions posed by Jos, Alex Bowman reported an occasion w/
his 130 hp Honda powered XS mono w/ Airmaster prop when his throttle
linkage parted while cruising at 2500 ft ASL during the summer in
British Columbia. The throttle was spring-loaded to go to full power
(rather than idle in such an event); Alex observed an IAS in excess of
200 mph in a climb prior to going to fine pitch and eventually shutting
down for an uneventful dead stick landing. Alex was carrying a 200 lb
passenger at the time with about 3/4 fuel. I'm uncertain of the
duration of this high speed, but I believe it was more than just an
instant and less than a minute. With the heavier engine, Alex's plane
is approved by Canadian authorities for a MTOW of 1500 lb. There was no
visible structural damage as a consequence nor is any suspected. Though
one may question the extra horses and high MTOW for the Europa, for
myself, I am content that Alex's experience and knowledge gained during
his career as a test pilot for the RCAF were adequate guides for his
choices & configuration.

Fred
A194