RE: Europa-List: Vne Speed

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Vne Speed
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:28:51

>>> OK, interesting discussion to start of with. Appreciated that Vne
should never be exceeded, has there ever been structural damage caused
by over speeding to a Europa? Or to make the question even wider, has
there ever been damage to an Europa excluding take-offs and landings?
Not that i intend to over speed, but it would be nice to know how sturdy
this ship is.

During the initial testing of the Airmaster prop the PFA requested a
vibration analysis report of a rapid throttle backoff at Vne+10% as
another (unnamed) constant speed prop had shown excessive vibration when
the same test was performed as speeds less than Vne. I did the rapid
throttle backoff test at 7000 feet and ZK-UBD felt like it was running
on rails at 185KIAS.  When I got down we found that the vibration sensor
head had failed so I had to go back up and repeat the process!

Tony